Home Improvement--General/Post & Beam joists...

We have a post and beam gambrel built in 1978.  The floor joists on the first floor ceiling (that support the second floor) are quite checked and I wanted to double-check strenght tolarances; however, the tables I find are only for 2x lumber. These 4"x6" (true) spruce joists span 11' 1", and are spaced 22" center-to-center. A possible relevant issue is that (unlike say a 2x12) the entire 4x6 dim. of beam does not attach onto the relevant beam; rather, wood is cut away to form the male component of the joints such that about 3x5 of these joists lays into beam. Does that mean, for strenth purposes, that I have 3x5.25 beams with above spans etc. or 4x6?  Either way, do these meet code requirements for loads? I live in Massachusetts. Thanks!

I can not provide definitive structural information via Internet. I might still be hard pressed given the heavy timber construction you are describing. I would necessarily have to get in to calculations and specific building conditions.

You might look at finding a heavy timber construction company that has expertise in heavy timer construction.

Things to have in mind are that the stresses on the wood joist are different at different locations along its length.
The end takes shear and the middle takes bending. Different species of wood will have different strength characteristics based on quality and dimension and single for repetitive use.

For the end bearing there is compression parallel to grain and shear across the bearing cross section. So the load at the end is sitting on a 3 1/2 x ___ some surface under compression load and the 3 1/2 x 5 1/4 area is under shear.

You mention sever checking and that would be evaluated to determine grade.

A lowest grades of all species in the standard joist tables do not span 11 feet. So you may be on the edge of something meeting todays compliance standards.

To start, look into lumber grading methods and the species and quality of wood you are working with.

Home Improvement--General

Thomas Buford

Licensed Architect in Virginia since 1984.
New Homes, Additions, Alterations, Outbuildings, Failure Forensics;
Small Construction Projects; Remediation and Repair

Architectural design, planning, construction and repair.
Schematic Design
objectives statement
space planning
feasibility study
structural, mechanical, plumbing
and electrical system integration
Permit Drawings
Construction Drawings
Contract Documents
Construction Administration
construction management
pre-qualification of bidders
general and/or sub contracting
construction progress and
construction contract review and interpretation
pay request certification
Construction failure diagnostics
water intrusion
structural failures, ...

Due to life safety concerns regarding some aspects of construction I may not be able to help with all questions.
I do not answer structural specification questions without a site visit.

Arlington Journal

5 year Bachelor of Architecture from
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (VPI-SU)