Home Improvement--General/deceived by a washer box

Hello Mr Stevens,

I was doing some repairs, and disconnected the washer intake and drain hoses from the box on the wall (see pic). I noticed the faucets had a little drip, very minimal, which had been unnoticed while the hoses were connected b/c it'd probably dry inside the hoses or something.

I thought the drip was harmless b/c the box has a drain pipe and the lower edge is high. Actually the dripping was sliding down the faucet's "body". But was I wrong!? As the walls were to be painted, I left the washer unhooked for a few days, and when I came back, there was water (not much) coming from inside the wall and into the floor of the A/C closet (which shares the wall with the washer box). I think the holes for the faucets and the drain pipe in the box are NOT sealed. Is this the way these boxes are supposed to be installed?

IMHO a better installation would be if those holes were sealed around the faucets and the drain pipe. This was a drip, but it could have been worse. When I see plastic and that the drain is connected I expect it to be water safe. What are your thoughts about this? If they better be sealed--as I suppose--how can I seal them?

Most of these washer boxes have a seal around them at the base of this faucet. You might want to shut off the water and back off the top of the faucets and apply a little Teflon tape and tighten them back down. This might stop the leaking. Although these type of valves are known for leaking and the washer made need to be replaced in them altogether.

Also there is not a chance your A/C pan would be leaking is there? Some time the A/C drain pan line can build up algae and back up into the bottom of your condenser pan. I hope this helps you out and thanks for asking.

Craig Stevens
ARAC Alliance Restoration And Consulting

Home Improvement--General

Craig Stevens

Any questions related to home repair

35 years experience in home repair as a General Contractor.

High School Graduate holding numerous state and local licenses throughout the country.