Home Improvement--General/warped wooden rail

Question
My house is a bilevel. The living room is separated from the inside entrance stairs by a wood railing with 12 spindles. Over time the top has bowed upwards and the railings have fallen off-they were not glued or screwed. As a temp fix I screwed the spindles in, with the warp still visible on the top rail, most prominant in the middle. Now I want to do a better repair. I though of gluing and using some small wooden spacers between the middle spindles and the railing where there is the most space between them, but now I think I will re screw. My idea is to drill out the screwhole in the spindles, top and bottom, first. Then, screw them all to the floor. Then, starting at the middle, and bit by bit, screw them into the rail, hoping the rail straightens out. THen fill in the holes. Does this sound OK?

Answer
Hi Bud,
Sounds like a great idea to me!  I couldn't have suggested it better myself.  The only things I would add are

1. Make sure that you use the longest screws possible.  Also, you may want to use a lag screw if your hole filling capabilities are good.  The larger head on the screw would give it more holding strength.
2.  I think I would also use some wood glue in addition to the screws.  
3.  Lastly, if there is a way to rig it up you might want to use some furniture clamps.

Good luck!
Steve

Environmental Engineer
General Contractor

Home Improvement--General

Steve Young