Home Improvement--General/Best Fluorescent Light

Question
I am remodeling my basement after some issues with a broken pipe. I have very old fluorescent light fixtures, some of which are barely working now and I am looking to upgrade them all to some new ones since they are incredibly old to begin with. My question is what type of fixtures/ballasts would be best for my application and price?

I am going to be using the area as a office room/work shop and the work space will be used on a daily basis so I would like something that has a good bright and clean light output and that will make very little to no noise. I'm guessing its a choice between a T8 and T5 but like I said I'm not very educated in the matter. The old ones are simply hanging from chains and are placed slightly recessed above insulated ceiling panels to give you an idea of my current set up.

I'm also preferably looking for something that wont be too expensive, preferably less than $100 per fixture, and will have a good energy rating. Any insight you might have would be greatly appreciated and thank you for your time.

-Mike

Answer
There are many light fixture in which to choose from for your basement. Some questions still need to be answered such as how high in the ceiling from the floor and what type of light do you want produced from the lights. Also you described insulated panels on the ceiling. Are they supported by a metal track and are the panels 2' x 2' or 2' x 4'?

The higher the ceiling the more options you have. if you have the head room I like to use cloud light fixtures that hang below the ceiling which allows the light to shine laterally not just all down lighting. Try looking up the company called Progress, look up fixture # P7279-60B, see what you think of it.  

Home Improvement--General

Jay Cipriani