Home Improvement--General/ceramic tile - tub

Question
I was hoping to "save" most of the existing tile so I removed only the bottom row of tile to replace a bathtub. The tile was attached to green-drywall...most of the paper came off so I cut it out to the bottom of the tile row above...my original plan was to put in a 5 " wide piece of backerboard and then replace the bottom row of tile ...I am concerned about the seam between the old drywall and new backerboard, it will be right behind a grout line... I've thought about putting silicone between the two but I am not sure that will work... any suggestions or do I jut need to rip it all the tile out + start over

Answer
Hello, Rob.

I'm concerned about the existing tile being attached directly to the greenboard, and the raw edge of greenboard that's been exposed by removing the bottom row of tile. Relying on silicone to seal off the raw edge will not achieve long-term results. Greenboard is not good as a water barrier. Cementious backer-board is designed to be an effective long-term water barrier, especially when it's installed correctly.

If you want this repair to be long-lasting, if you do not want to face another repair project in a couple of years (or less), I highly recommend that you remove all of the tile, and install cementious backer-board, following manufacturer's instructions.

Wishng you good luck -- and long-term results.

Diane Plesset, CMKBD, NCIDQ, C.A.P.S.
D. P. Design  

Home Improvement--General

Diane Plesset