Home Improvement--General/Fiberglass Tub/Surround

Question
Hi Paul,

I just finished remodeling my bathroom (new vanity, faucets, new toilet, new tile floor, paint etc.) The one thing I didn’t replace was the original 25 year old fiberglass tub and surround which actually still looks nice. While cleaning up after all the work was complete, I noticed 7-8 hair line cracks in the bottom of the tub. They may have been there before my work began and I never noticed. I have owned this house for the past 11 years and I always noticed a “cracking” sound while standing in the shower so I assume the bottom of the tub was never fully supported. Through the access panel, I can see that the original builder didn’t use a mortar bed but the unit has “expansion wings” that open up on the underneath sides of the tub. My question is: Do you recommend any of these repair companies such as “Miracle Method” or other repairs or should I replace the entire unit? If I have to replace the entire unit, would this involve tearing up my new freshly painted walls and possibly damaging my new tile floor?

Thank you,

Anthony

Answer
Morning Anthony:

I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving the tub. Not having the proper sub floor under the tub is a problem, repairing will not fix the under structure tub base, It's your call,If your asking me what I would do, I'd change it.

Sincerely
Paul  

Home Improvement--General

Paul Polletta DBA TOP-NOTCH RENOVATIONS