Home Improvement--General/soundproofing/ squeaky floor

Question
My family and I recently moved into a fairly old house with wood flooring throughout. I have to live on the second floor, which isn't a problem most of the time. However, at night, the floor squeaks terribly and wakes them up. I am wanting to know if there is anything I can do to stop/ lessen the noise. I have looked into squeaky floors and have only seen information about finding certain spots, but it sounds like the whole floor squeaks. We are renting and I don't want to do anything to the actual floor that would upset the owner. Is there anything we can do to soften/ stop the sound? We are pretty poor, so the cheapest way possible would be preferred. Thank you so much for any help you can give.

Answer
Amber,
The best way to silence that;
pull the flooring up and re-install it using glue between the floor boards and joists.

the cheapest way;
find where the squeaks are coming from, put in a finish nail through the flooring into the sub-floor at an angle, that should knock the squeaks down considerably.
The finish nails should be small enough to help (probably not completely eliminate) the noise without being overly visible enough to make the landlord mad.

OR;
have the neighbor below tell your landlord the floor squeaks and let him pay to fix it.  

Home Improvement--General

Bill Hutson