Home Improvement--General/sump pump

Question
I recently bought a house that has a sump pump in the basement.   I know little about how it operates or its limitations.  I have attached a hose from my dehumidifier to drain into the hole.  Is this a bad idea?  If it is okay, should the opening around the hole be sealed by packing something around the hose?

Answer

Mr. Bernick,

Routing the dehumidifier drain into the sump should not present a problem.  I am unable to visualize what you are asking about packing something around the hole, but if it is a typical sump and sump pump it is not necessary.

Hope this helps

Tony Wood  

Home Improvement--General

Tony Wood