Home Improvement--General/Baseboard moulding

we just moved into a brand new home & our first night there the movers neglected to put the drainage hose into the pipe from our washing machine.  The first load of laundry resulted in a tub of cold soapy water flowing down our back hallway (travertine).  We immediately swept water out the back and put down moving pads to soak up the excess.  The floors (and baseboard moulding) did not sit in water for any length of time.  The whole cleanup was less than 15 minutes.  Approximately 10 days later we noticed that the baseboard moulding pulled away from the wall at the top (not the bottom where the water was)about 1/8" to 1/4".  We contacted the builder who said it was our problem because the "flood" caused the moulding to pop out.  There was other moulding touched by the water but only one small area (approximately 3' long) that started separating.  Was it caused by the water or just coincidental?  They are refusing to send their "fix it" guy to help.  We took care of it ourselves but I am just curious to know since there really was no "flood" and the water was on the floor and out the door or soaked up in a relatively short period of time.  Thanks for your time.  C

Hi Celinda,
Based on the fact that other molding that was hit by the "flood" did not separate it is my guess that it is a coincidence and probably a flaw in the original installation.  Very hard to prove though and the builder is a complete jerk!  Had it been one of my projects I would have fixed it no questions asked - just for good customer and potential customer relations.  But not everyone is as customer oriented as I am.

Speaking of washer "flooding."  Let me give  you some advice.  The hot and cold water hoses from the faucet to the back of the washer should be the high quality stainless steel reinforced hoses.  This is what they look like:http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02648027000P?sid=IDx20070921x00003h&src
I've heard more horror stories about the rubber hoses breaking while someone is on vacation and they come home to a flooded house.  I make it a habit to use those and also to turn the water off to our washing machine when we go out of town just to be on the safe side.

Take care,

Home Improvement--General

Steve Young

I will answer questions dealing with home improvement. My specific areas of expertise are flooring (except carpeting), all types of carpentry, water treatment, and minor electrical. I have also built several treehouses and am currently considering expanding my business to concentrate on children's play areas. I love working with all kinds of wood. My favorite types of home repair/remodeling are water treatment, hardwood flooring, cabinetry, bathroom remodeling, and kitchen remodeling. I also have knowledge in residential water treatment, including filters, softeners, reverse osmosis systems and various other types of treatment systems.

I have been working in various forms of construction both personally and professionally for the past 20 years. I am currently the Owner/Contractor of a home repair/remodeling company.

I have a BS in Environmental Engineering and have done Masters work in Management Development. I have also attended various community college and fine arts classes in the Piedmont Triad area and EPA water quality certification classes.