Home Improvement--General/Cambria countertops

I bought an entire kitchen that was being replaced, and it included Cambria countertops.  I want to alter the design of the kitchen -- just as an example, please imagine that I have a Cambria countertop 9 ft in length, and I want to cut it in two 4.5 ft pieces, and place a range between the two pieces.

First, can a DIY'er cut Cambria?  

Second, after you've made the cut, what will the edges that abut the range look like? Will they need to be smoothed somehow?

Hello, Marlene.

To answer your first question, cutting Cambria (and other "engineered stone" products) should not be attempted by a DIYer. It takes special equipment that fabricators use. Cambria is very heavy, about 20 pounds per square foot. The nine-foot slab that you have weighs approximately 360 pounds -- big and cumbersome. It's a two- or three-person job to handle a slab that large.

If you want good results, in answer to your second question, my recommendation is to find a fabricator in your area, and call them to see if they can help you. Here's a link to the Cambria site, where you can (hopefully) find a fabricator who's been trained and certified by Cambria: http://www.cambriausa.com/en/professionals/Partner-Locator. It's worth the investment. A new Cambria countertop of that size is worth about $1,350 (or more).

As a DIYer myself, it's easy to say, "I can do that!" But when we stop to think about how long we'll have to live with a mistake, or pay good money to correct a mistake, the best comment in this circumstance would be, "I'm going to let an expert do it!"

Hope this answer helps you. It's from someone with over 30 years of professional and personal experience.

Good luck!

Diane Plesset, CMKBD, NCIDQ, C.A.P.S.
D. P. Design  

Home Improvement--General

Diane Plesset

I will answer questions about anything to do with bathroom remodeling: design considerations, safety, function, materials (cabinets, countertops, plumbing fixtures and fittings, lighting/switching, heating and ventilation, tile, stone, concrete, tub and shower enclosures, flooring, etc.), saving water, trends, ROI, and appearance.

25+ years as a bath-kitchen design specialist, hundreds of completed bathroom projects (all styles, all investment ranges). Author of "THE Survival Guide: Home Remodeling," co-host of a home improvement program on a local radio station for over three years. Currently hosting "Today's Home" on Lifestyle WebRadio every Sunday afternoon (http://www.todays-home.com).

NKBA (National Kitchen and Bath Association), NAHB (National Association of Home Builders), PRO (Portland Remodelers' Organization), IDPC (Interior Design Protection Council).

"THE Survival Guide: Home Remodeling" (my book, published in 2003), Designers' Illustrated Magazine, Gentry Magazine, Kitchen-Bath Business Magazine, Kitchen-Bath Design News Magazine,Interior Coordinator Magazine (Japan); San Jose Mercury News, San Mateo Times, San Francisco Chronicle, Statesman Journal, Portland Tribune, Oregonian.

Multiple degrees: Bathroom Design, Residential Interior Design, Kitchen Design, and Lighting Design. Regularly attend classes and seminars to maintain current knowledge about codes, trends, sustainability, new products, etc.

Awards: Henry Adams Designer of the Year, CoTY, Master Design, Best of the Best, Chrysalis, Excellence (best home in its category), and NABE (best how-to book, 2003). "THE Survival Guide: Home Remodeling" received #1 listing in the City of Chicago publication, "Hiring The Pros".

To see photos of completed projects, visit my website: http://www.dp-design.com/portfolio