Home Improvement--General/counter top material choice

Question
I would like to upgrade the kitchen counter top {laminate) with a stone type material, such as granite etc;. What would be the better material to use in a kitchen. In terms of keeping it clean as for different types of food stains or anything that might blemish it.Is there a sealer which should be used? DO"S OR Dont's? Whatever suggestion you can offer, would b very much appreciated.
Thanks for your time & help...Ken

Answer
Afternoon Ken:

I'd like to begin by saying the best counter top for your kitchen depends on the look, feel and type of finish that will fit into you budget.

People are under the impression that granite is in destructible and for the most part it is except when it comes to liquids. Hi polish finishes on granite gives it a special enhanced beauty.

The one drawback is, as in any polished stone, it's still porous and you really can't see the impurities. Red wines, orange juice, steak juice, etc. will stain the actual stone grain under the finish, and is extremely hard to remove.

However with some preventive maintenance, products are available. Ask your granite company what would be the best product out there to keep your tops looking new.

Please let me know how you make out. Thank you for ask the question

Sincerely

Paul  

Home Improvement--General

Paul Polletta DBA TOP-NOTCH RENOVATIONS