Home Improvement--General/Floor damage

Type of damage
Type of damage  

hill slopes to kitchen
hill slopes to kitchen  
Please let me know your opinion of the type of damage to my floor that is sagging.  I have attached a picture for your review.  The floor is fully falling in in certain areas. I suspect it is water damage, but there has been carpenter ants that have been exterminated recently. I value and need your opinion since I can't fix the floor unless I fix the reason for the damage.

thank you

Hi Mary,
It sure looks like water damage to me but it's next to impossible to diagnose a problem from one picture. I think you should have a contractor some out and take a look at it.  If you are getting an estimate for repairs it won't cost you anything and I would be much more comfortable with a reputable professional examining the situation "in person."  This is too big of a deal to try and do it over the internet.
Good luck and let me know if I can help in any other way.

Home Improvement--General

Steve Young

I will answer questions dealing with home improvement. My specific areas of expertise are flooring (except carpeting), all types of carpentry, water treatment, and minor electrical. I have also built several treehouses and am currently considering expanding my business to concentrate on children's play areas. I love working with all kinds of wood. My favorite types of home repair/remodeling are water treatment, hardwood flooring, cabinetry, bathroom remodeling, and kitchen remodeling. I also have knowledge in residential water treatment, including filters, softeners, reverse osmosis systems and various other types of treatment systems.

I have been working in various forms of construction both personally and professionally for the past 20 years. I am currently the Owner/Contractor of a home repair/remodeling company.

I have a BS in Environmental Engineering and have done Masters work in Management Development. I have also attended various community college and fine arts classes in the Piedmont Triad area and EPA water quality certification classes.