Home Improvement--General/Repairing vinyl clad wooden windows

The vinyl covering the exterior of our wooden windows is beginning to fail.  The exposure to the weather has caused the vinyl to split and curl from the wood underneath.  There is no rotting, yet.  Is there a way to repair them?  My thought is to caulk and paint the vinyl to protect the wood.  Our home is 12 years old, and I hope I can preserve the windows instead of replacing them.  

Unfortunately, windows vary significantly in quality. Some (Like Anderson) are guaranteed for life and rarely have a problem, others perform like yours.

The right thing to do is to replace your windows with a better product. Painting vinyl seldom lasts very long, and the problem you are seeing will probably get worse.

Sorry I don't have a better answer.

Home Improvement--General

Gordon Petersen

I can answer questions about plumbing, electrical, roofing, carpentry, drywall, stucco, flooring, foundation, windows, and planning for typical wood frame houses.

I have been a landlord and home owner for over 30 years, doing all the repairs myself. I have completed two additions to properties, drawing the plans myself, obtaining permits, and performing the work myself. One of these additions was over 1000 square feet.

I have a bachelors and masters degree in Mechanical Engineering.