Home Improvement--General/Roof leak, water damage

Mr. Petersen,
I'm not entirely sure if you're the one to ask, but I need advice and any insight you can offer me would be more than I know now.  Several weeks ago my (torch down, flat) roof leaked pretty badly during an evening of severe thunderstorms. The water ran into the master bedroom (immediately below the source of the leak) through several points, including the ceiling fan and windowsill.  It saturated the carpet, and proceeded to soak through the floor, and (i believe) run down the walls behind the drywall and into the basement, where the water saturated the drop ceiling and the carpet.  

The claims adjuster came out approximately 10 days after the incident, and agreed that all the damage to the bedroom ceiling, carpet and walls came from the roof leak.  However, he said that the water that soaked my basement was "surface water" that came in through the side door that leads into my basement from outside.  Water has never came in that way, as there is a drain at the bottom of the steps to the door.  Long story short, I need to somehow prove that the water that came in through the roof is the same water that soaked my basement.  What would I need to do as far as presenting evidence to convince the insurance company of what actually happened?

Flat roofs leak. I have a rental property with a flat roof. After about 5 "repairs" I finally turned it into a sloped roof - no more problems.

I'm guessing that the adjustor has some reason to say the water came in through the door. Ask him why. If his response is reasonable, you may be out of luck. You can of course, contact an attorney, but most insurance companies have a bunch of lawyers waiting for you.

Good luck.

Home Improvement--General

Gordon Petersen

I can answer questions about plumbing, electrical, roofing, carpentry, drywall, stucco, flooring, foundation, windows, and planning for typical wood frame houses.

I have been a landlord and home owner for over 30 years, doing all the repairs myself. I have completed two additions to properties, drawing the plans myself, obtaining permits, and performing the work myself. One of these additions was over 1000 square feet.

I have a bachelors and masters degree in Mechanical Engineering.