Home Improvement--General/Insulation question...

Mr. Petersen,
I've got a 4x8 sheet of Dow styrofoam "Scoreboard" insulation (one and one-half inches thick), and I need to cut it into smaller pieces.  What's the best way to cut it and get a fairly clean edge?  I have a circular saw with a plywood blade on it, and I also have a Rockwell "versacut" mini circular saw.  Is there a special kind of blade professionals use, or do you just have to use a utility knife with a new blade?
Any advice...suggestions...tremendously appreciated.
Warm regards,

Here's a link.

I've used the score and break approach, and seen others use a skill saw with a standard blade. The hot wire approach is used professionally and works well also.

I don't know how perfect an edge you need - - the score and break approach can be a little ragged. If you want a smooth edge, I'd try the circular saw.

Good luck,

Home Improvement--General

Gordon Petersen

I can answer questions about plumbing, electrical, roofing, carpentry, drywall, stucco, flooring, foundation, windows, and planning for typical wood frame houses.

I have been a landlord and home owner for over 30 years, doing all the repairs myself. I have completed two additions to properties, drawing the plans myself, obtaining permits, and performing the work myself. One of these additions was over 1000 square feet.

I have a bachelors and masters degree in Mechanical Engineering.