Home Improvement--General/Removing built-in mantle shelf

Question
Current built-in mantle shelf
Current built-in mantl  
How would I go about removing this "decorative" shelf above my fireplace.  I want to replace it with a more functional mantle shelf.  It appears to be part of the wall, but I'm not sure.  Would a hammer and pry bar suffice?

Answer
Jeff,

You never know what you're going to find when you tear into a house. In your case, if your house is typical, the mantle you have is probably just nailed to studs in the wall, so you can probably remove it easily.

Have you considered just adding a nice mantle over the existing one? A good finish carpenter could probably create something really nice and you'd save the hassle of removing the old one.

Good luck  

Home Improvement--General

Gordon Petersen