Home Improvement--General/stairs - storage

Question
QUESTION: I am hoping to make a few of my interior stairs into storage.  Am I better off 1) adding drawers within the risers 2) hinging the risers so they open 3) hinging the stair tread or something else?  Any tips?  Thank you for your time.

ANSWER: Hi Gregory,
Interesting idea.  I do have one question:  do you have access to the area under the stairs?  If so, can you physically get into that area?  Let me know and I'll finish my answer.
Steve

QUESTION: I do not have acces to under the stairs.  Thanks.

Answer
Hi Gregory,
Since you do not have access to the area under the stairs (which is pretty unusual) I would recommend hinging the stair tread and doing it on the bottom step(s).  Any other modification would be very difficult without access.  Depending on the age of your home you may find some interesting things in that area - I have seen all kinds of things put under stairs over the years.  Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Steve

Home Improvement--General

Steve Young