Home Improvement--General/picture windows

I have a two piece picture window (a fixed inner and a removable outer )the outer window is held to the frame by stormdoor style clanps. My problem is that after I remove the clamps , I still can"t remove the outer window. Any ideas? I'm not terrible handy but it seemed like a simple task at first. I want to wash the both windows.

You are correct in that removing the window should be a simple task.

If the clamps are removed and the storm window is stuck in place I can only guess that it has accumulated dirt around the edges or someone may have painted it into place.

My first suggestions is to use a sparkling (drywall mud) knife to tap in around the edges to loosen the "seal" that ma have formed.
Since it is a picture window and you cannot push it out from the inside, you can try using packing tape to stick to the top of the window, maybe at a corner, and using this tape as a handle to pull from. The tape would be formed to shape a 'T' with the top as the sticky side to the glass.

Good luck and be safe. If this storm window is large you may need a second person to stabilize it while you operate to loosen it.

Home Improvement--General

Thomas Buford

Licensed Architect in Virginia since 1984.
New Homes, Additions, Alterations, Outbuildings, Failure Forensics;
Small Construction Projects; Remediation and Repair

Architectural design, planning, construction and repair.
Schematic Design
objectives statement
space planning
feasibility study
structural, mechanical, plumbing
and electrical system integration
Permit Drawings
Construction Drawings
Contract Documents
Construction Administration
construction management
pre-qualification of bidders
general and/or sub contracting
construction progress and
construction contract review and interpretation
pay request certification
Construction failure diagnostics
water intrusion
structural failures, ...

Due to life safety concerns regarding some aspects of construction I may not be able to help with all questions.
I do not answer structural specification questions without a site visit.

Arlington Journal

5 year Bachelor of Architecture from
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (VPI-SU)