You are here:

Home Improvement--General/sealing around dryer vent (inside part)


QUESTION: I'm about to move into a new home and noticed there is nothing sealing up the opening around the dryer vent inside the utility room.  This is on an interior wall, but of course it eventually goes to the outside.  I think I need to seal around where it comes through the sheet rock.  In my current home they filled the hole with caulk (appears to be silicone).  Is this the best way to seal this opening for air infiltration?  Do I need a special caulk since it is right by the dryer so will have some heat?

Thanks for your advice,

ANSWER: Hi Patti!

Great job spotting this!  This is an often overlooked area where outdoor air can get into the house and cause comfort problems. Sealing it is a great idea. And you get a double gold star for recognizing that since it is a heat producing device it might need special attention.

I recommend using fire rated, or high heat, spray foam. It comes in an aerosol can and typically costs just under 5 dollars for one can. It is rated to be up against hot devices. You can find it at any home improvement store. One can is more than enough for this job. Some brands are "great stuff", DAP, and store brand generics.

This canned foam is easiest for filling spots like this that are hard to reach and not a consistent size.

While you're at it - check under each sink in the home - where the water lines come in there is usually a good size hole where air can come in too.

Best of luck with the new home!


---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Thank you.  I wondered about the spray foam, but didn't know what was best.  Will check this out and get it done before we actually move in.  Much easier to do it now than to have to move the dryer later.

Will it say "high heat" or "fire rated" on the can?  I did a quick search on the DOW site and they have one that says "fire block", is that the one?

Thanks again for the advice.

Yes the fire block is the correct stuff. There will also usually be a different color to the prouduct (fire block is orange instead of the typical white/cream color)

Because it is orange some home owners don't care for its appearance. You can spray it in the gaps - allow it to expand and dry - then trim the excess for a neater appearance.  

Home Improvement--General

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Anthony Procaccini


Residential Construction questions - specifically diagnosing an issue or concern in the home. My main area of expertise is Home Energy Efficiency and reducing your utility bills or increasing the comfort of your home.


I was a home builder for over 5 years. I have been doing energy auditing and analysis for the past 4 years.

Building Performance Institute, United States Green Building Council - NC Chapter

My blog -

I am a Building Performance Institute Certified Building Analyst, Certified Manufactured Home Specialist, Certified Envelope Professional, and a Certified Quality Control Inspector

©2017 All rights reserved.