Home Improvement--General/aesbestos flooring

hi steve, I have an old house around 1900 and the flooring is asbestos. I don't want to spend lots of money for abatement but I would like new floor coverings.
two choices laminate - no adhesive and vinyl sheeting adhesive. laminate is 2x the price of sheeting. I am concerned about the next owner removing the new sheeting. does it matter or should I ask not to use adhesive. I am at a lose what to do. thanks in advance.

Hi Mary,

You have a dilemma and I can appreciate it.  For liability reasons I do not comment or give advice on projects that entail potentially hazardous materials.  I normally don't deal with asbestos, even when I can do an actual site visit and inspection.

One thing you should know is that asbestos is relatively safe as long as it is not disturbed and allowed to become airborne.  Anything that you do to the floor that would cause the asbestos to break up and possibly become airborne, either now or in the future, should be avoided.  And if you do decide to cover the tiles, I would certainly make any future buyer aware of the situation.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Good luck,

Home Improvement--General

Steve Young

I will answer questions dealing with home improvement. My specific areas of expertise are flooring (except carpeting), all types of carpentry, water treatment, and minor electrical. I have also built several treehouses and am currently considering expanding my business to concentrate on children's play areas. I love working with all kinds of wood. My favorite types of home repair/remodeling are water treatment, hardwood flooring, cabinetry, bathroom remodeling, and kitchen remodeling. I also have knowledge in residential water treatment, including filters, softeners, reverse osmosis systems and various other types of treatment systems.

I have been working in various forms of construction both personally and professionally for the past 20 years. I am currently the Owner/Contractor of a home repair/remodeling company.

I have a BS in Environmental Engineering and have done Masters work in Management Development. I have also attended various community college and fine arts classes in the Piedmont Triad area and EPA water quality certification classes.