Home Improvement--General/buying a saw

I am considering buying an electric chain saw. The 2 I am looking at are 9 amp 14 inch, and 16 inch 12 amp. They would be used for cutting tree branches up to 4 inches in diameter. The label on My heavy duty extension cord says: 10 A, 125 V, 1250 W. Is it heavy enough for either or both of these saws, if not, what kind of cord should I get?

Hi JoAnne,
First of all I wouldn't buy an electric chain saw.  They are a nuisance - you can only use them where there is power and then you have to have a lot of extension cords, etc.  In addition I have seen and heard about more accidents with the electric ones than the gas powered ones.  People cutting the extension cord, using too small of a cord, etc.

To answer your question, if your extension cord is rated for 10amps then the only saw you should use is the 9amp saw.  Definitely don't use the 12 amp saw if your cord is only rated for 10 amps.  Especially if you have over 25 or 30' of cord.  The longer the extension cord the more inefficient it becomes.

So, get a nice little gas chain saw and you can use it wherever you need it.  They are perfectly safe as long as you follow directions and wear safety goggles, gloves, etc. (of course you should do that with an electric one too.)

I use a little Poulan gas saw for work around the house on small limbs,etc.  Here is a nice one for $100 http://www.amazon.com/Poulan-P3314-14-Inch-2-Cycle-Gas-Powered/dp/B00080MHX0/ref

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

Home Improvement--General

Steve Young

I will answer questions dealing with home improvement. My specific areas of expertise are flooring (except carpeting), all types of carpentry, water treatment, and minor electrical. I have also built several treehouses and am currently considering expanding my business to concentrate on children's play areas. I love working with all kinds of wood. My favorite types of home repair/remodeling are water treatment, hardwood flooring, cabinetry, bathroom remodeling, and kitchen remodeling. I also have knowledge in residential water treatment, including filters, softeners, reverse osmosis systems and various other types of treatment systems.

I have been working in various forms of construction both personally and professionally for the past 20 years. I am currently the Owner/Contractor of a home repair/remodeling company.

I have a BS in Environmental Engineering and have done Masters work in Management Development. I have also attended various community college and fine arts classes in the Piedmont Triad area and EPA water quality certification classes.