Home Improvement--General/installing porch swing

We purchased a porch swing but are somewhat stuck in a problem because we don't really know how far away from the wall it should be, how high it should be, and what kind of hooks to use and what size  eye bolt to use as well. Please let me know asap as we are afraid it may walk out of our porch. Thank you in advance. P.S. Also, in what part of the chain should the hook be. The chain has 2 types of links.

Hi Esther,
The most important part of hanging your swing is to make sure that you hang it from a sturdy part of the ceiling.  I recommend attaching it to a ceiling joist or beam.  Here are several excellent websites on how to hang a porch swing.  This is a moderately challenging job and if you are not handy with tools I would recommend hiring a handyman to install it.  A good handyman can install it in an hour and it may be money well spent.  If you decide to go ahead here are the websites:

Good luck and let me know if I can help out in any other way.

Home Improvement--General

Steve Young

I will answer questions dealing with home improvement. My specific areas of expertise are flooring (except carpeting), all types of carpentry, water treatment, and minor electrical. I have also built several treehouses and am currently considering expanding my business to concentrate on children's play areas. I love working with all kinds of wood. My favorite types of home repair/remodeling are water treatment, hardwood flooring, cabinetry, bathroom remodeling, and kitchen remodeling. I also have knowledge in residential water treatment, including filters, softeners, reverse osmosis systems and various other types of treatment systems.

I have been working in various forms of construction both personally and professionally for the past 20 years. I am currently the Owner/Contractor of a home repair/remodeling company.

I have a BS in Environmental Engineering and have done Masters work in Management Development. I have also attended various community college and fine arts classes in the Piedmont Triad area and EPA water quality certification classes.