Home Improvement--General/Saw


I am considering buying an electric chain saw. The 2 I am looking at are 9 amp 14 inch, and 16 inch 12 amp. They would be used for cutting tree branches up to 4 inches in diameter. The label on My heavy duty extension cord says: 10 A, 125 V, 1250 W. Is it heavy enough for either or both of these saws, if not, what kind of cord should I get?



You should use a 12-gauge cord (normally called a 12/3).  This wire size can carry up to 20 amps, and you will not experience a significant voltage drop over a long distance.

Your cord is probably 16 gauge and will likely heat up under the load of the saw.

Best of luck & be safe,

Steve Major

Home Improvement--General

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Steve Major (Owner - Major Design Group)


I can answer any questions regarding the design and execution of home improvement and remodeling. This includes trade-specific questions (how-to) in all major building trades: framing, foundations, site prep, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, water treatment, interior finishing, trim & cabinetwork, exterior finishing, roofing, siding. PLEASE indicate your state or region, so I can provide the best possible answer. PLEASE provide photos whenever possible.


30 years experience in home improvement design and construction, all hands-on, including the construction of dozens of single-family homes and hundreds of remodeling projects in the northeastern US.

Author: "Architectural Woodwork - Details for Construction" published by Van Nostrand Reinhold (now Wiley).

BS -- Cornell University

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.