Home Improvement--General/bath fans

Hi Diane
Sue here from Saskatoon, your Dad's old stomping grounds!
I have three old, beige, bath fans I want to replace. They still work but are dirty and noisy (like my husband). Can I do it myself, or should I get a contractor? The ceiling cutouts are 8.8X8.5 inches. I was thinking of getting these:
Thanks for your help!

Hello, Sue.

Love your sense of humor! Hope your husband has a sense of humor, too.

First, I'm going to answer a question that you didn't ask, but you referred to it, i.e., noise. I checked the link you included, and that Broan fan you're interested in is rated at 2 sones. You can do MUCH better than that! Here's a link to the Broan site, where they have bathroom exhaust fans rated as low as <.3 sones (very quiet!) http://www.broan.com/products/lifestyle/bathrooms-2aa0860f-17e2-49f1-9bd8-19ad54

Your final decision about which fans to purchase involves the price, and installation method required by the manufacturer. As for installation yourself, it is possible if you're just changing the fan (approximately the same size as the existing) and using the existing ducting. You could run into problems if the existing ducting won't work, or if you need a transition between the new fan and the duct. Your final decision about exhaust fans (and whether you'll attempt to install them yourself) will require you to carefully read the specifications and installation instructions, so you are familiar with the manufacturer's requirements and restrictions. Hooking up the new exhaust fan also requires an electrical connection. If you're attempting to do it yourself, remember to switch off the breakers before handling any wires.

Good luck! You may not be able to do anything about your husband, but changing your exhaust fans will be a great improvement!

Warm regards,

Diane Plesset, CMKBD, C.A.P.S., NCIDQ
D. P. Design  

Home Improvement--General

Diane Plesset

I will answer questions about anything to do with bathroom remodeling: design considerations, safety, function, materials (cabinets, countertops, plumbing fixtures and fittings, lighting/switching, heating and ventilation, tile, stone, concrete, tub and shower enclosures, flooring, etc.), saving water, trends, ROI, and appearance.

25+ years as a bath-kitchen design specialist, hundreds of completed bathroom projects (all styles, all investment ranges). Author of "THE Survival Guide: Home Remodeling," co-host of a home improvement program on a local radio station for over three years. Currently hosting "Today's Home" on Lifestyle WebRadio every Sunday afternoon (http://www.todays-home.com).

NKBA (National Kitchen and Bath Association), NAHB (National Association of Home Builders), PRO (Portland Remodelers' Organization), IDPC (Interior Design Protection Council).

"THE Survival Guide: Home Remodeling" (my book, published in 2003), Designers' Illustrated Magazine, Gentry Magazine, Kitchen-Bath Business Magazine, Kitchen-Bath Design News Magazine,Interior Coordinator Magazine (Japan); San Jose Mercury News, San Mateo Times, San Francisco Chronicle, Statesman Journal, Portland Tribune, Oregonian.

Multiple degrees: Bathroom Design, Residential Interior Design, Kitchen Design, and Lighting Design. Regularly attend classes and seminars to maintain current knowledge about codes, trends, sustainability, new products, etc.

Awards: Henry Adams Designer of the Year, CoTY, Master Design, Best of the Best, Chrysalis, Excellence (best home in its category), and NABE (best how-to book, 2003). "THE Survival Guide: Home Remodeling" received #1 listing in the City of Chicago publication, "Hiring The Pros".

To see photos of completed projects, visit my website: http://www.dp-design.com/portfolio