Home Improvement--General/Hi


Sink Picture
Sink Picture  
Hi Steve,

I have attached a picture of our sink - I am guessing that water has swollen the wood under the bench top. We just noticed this a few days back!
A few questions

- Can this be fixed i.e. wood swelling subsides on its own
- If not, I am thinking to fill that gap to stop further damage - I am not sure what I can fill this with?

Appreciate your help!




I have not seen this type of installation before, with such a very thin overlay at the sink rim.  It likely will not go down completely.

I would let it dry it completely and see if pressure from above will press it down, even partially.  If so, mask off the surrounding surfaces (for drips), inject a clear liquid 2-part epoxy (I get disposable syringes and large diameter needles from a medical-type friend), and place heavy concentrated weight on the area until it sets.  Be totally ready and act quickly, because most epoxy has a set time of a few minutes.  If possible, try to carve out some of the swollen wood first.

Best of luck and let me know if you need anything else.


Home Improvement--General

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Steve Major (Owner - Major Design Group)


I can answer any questions regarding the design and execution of home improvement and remodeling. This includes trade-specific questions (how-to) in all major building trades: framing, foundations, site prep, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, water treatment, interior finishing, trim & cabinetwork, exterior finishing, roofing, siding. PLEASE indicate your state or region, so I can provide the best possible answer. PLEASE provide photos whenever possible.


30 years experience in home improvement design and construction, all hands-on, including the construction of dozens of single-family homes and hundreds of remodeling projects in the northeastern US.

Author: "Architectural Woodwork - Details for Construction" published by Van Nostrand Reinhold (now Wiley).

BS -- Cornell University

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.