Home Improvement--General/Hole in the wall

Hello Diane,

I'm sending you a pic of the toilet paper roll dispenser, the kind that is "cemented" to the wall. One pic shows a dispenser that's fine, but the other shows the hole in the wall left by one which fell. I'm trying to figure out the best way to put it back in place. I'm not sure if cement is going to stick to the inlsulation and the drywall and how to keep it in place while it settles. What would you recommend? Thanks on advance

Hi, Rick.

You're right about the cement not sticking to insulation, but I'm concerned that it didn't stick to the drywall, either.  Here's my recommendation:

1. Using a utility knife, carefully cut away the insulation.
2. Measure the depth of the hole from the back of the drywall to the inside of the exterior wall.
3. Measure the overall depth of the holder from the back of the porcelain.
4. Measure the hole width and height, to verify that the holder overlaps the drywall completely (hopefully, you'll have enough overlap so the adhesive you use will attach the lip to the drywall). Make sure that the drywall is clean, dry, and dust-free.
5. Screw wood strips to the inside of the exterior wall, so the hole is approximately the same depth as the depth of the holder. Use short screws, so they don't penetrate the exterior wall.
6. Use a strong construction adhesive, like "Liquid Nails" (http://www.liquidnails.com/products/construction-adhesive-LN933). Follow the directions completely, including good ventilation (although it claims to be low-VOC). Apply the adhesive to the wood strips and the back of the holder lip.
7. While the adhesive is setting up, use low-tack blue painter's tape to hold the toilet tissue dispenser in place -- top, bottom, sides, and criss-cross. Don't rush the drying/curing process.

Hopefully, this will work. Good luck!

Diane Plesset, CMKBD, C.A.P.S., NCIDQ
D. P. Design

P.S. If I have sufficiently answered your question, please consider awarding volunteer points and nomination for volunteer of the month. Thank you!  

Home Improvement--General

Diane Plesset

I will answer questions about anything to do with bathroom remodeling: design considerations, safety, function, materials (cabinets, countertops, plumbing fixtures and fittings, lighting/switching, heating and ventilation, tile, stone, concrete, tub and shower enclosures, flooring, etc.), saving water, trends, ROI, and appearance.

25+ years as a bath-kitchen design specialist, hundreds of completed bathroom projects (all styles, all investment ranges). Author of "THE Survival Guide: Home Remodeling," co-host of a home improvement program on a local radio station for over three years. Currently hosting "Today's Home" on Lifestyle WebRadio every Sunday afternoon (http://www.todays-home.com).

NKBA (National Kitchen and Bath Association), NAHB (National Association of Home Builders), PRO (Portland Remodelers' Organization), IDPC (Interior Design Protection Council).

"THE Survival Guide: Home Remodeling" (my book, published in 2003), Designers' Illustrated Magazine, Gentry Magazine, Kitchen-Bath Business Magazine, Kitchen-Bath Design News Magazine,Interior Coordinator Magazine (Japan); San Jose Mercury News, San Mateo Times, San Francisco Chronicle, Statesman Journal, Portland Tribune, Oregonian.

Multiple degrees: Bathroom Design, Residential Interior Design, Kitchen Design, and Lighting Design. Regularly attend classes and seminars to maintain current knowledge about codes, trends, sustainability, new products, etc.

Awards: Henry Adams Designer of the Year, CoTY, Master Design, Best of the Best, Chrysalis, Excellence (best home in its category), and NABE (best how-to book, 2003). "THE Survival Guide: Home Remodeling" received #1 listing in the City of Chicago publication, "Hiring The Pros".

To see photos of completed projects, visit my website: http://www.dp-design.com/portfolio