Home Improvement--General/lag bolts or tap cons

I need to have a bracket bolted to a brick wall to hold a flag.The bracket has to be firmly attached to stand up to the wind here in Oklahoma. My previous flag bracket was attached with lag bolts and they have held for 13 years. A different handyman has told me that I should use tap cons instead,  Which should I use lag bolts or tap cons?

Hi Jo,

I have used both lag bolts and tapcons with great success, however I have found that tapcons are more prone to malfunction during installation.  Even using the exact drill bit size recommended does not always guarantee a tapcon screw will install correctly.  In some masonry the hole will drill out to what appears to be the exact size but will in effect be too small and the screw can bind or break.  If the masonry is too soft the hole may drill slightly over-sized and  the screw will not hold properly. Most times tapcon screws will work OK but it is extremely aggravating when you are trying to install something with three or four holes and one or two of them either binds up or strips out.  

Personally I prefer lag bolts because of their reliability.  Proper installation is straightforward and repeatable.  

Home Improvement--General

Tony Wood

I can answer a wide range of home improvement and maintenance questions. My expertise is in carpentry, painting, framing, siding/boxing, doors, windows, decks and screen and glass enclosures. Wood's Home Maintenance Service

I am a life time resident of North Carolina with over 30 years experience in multiple facets of the industrial, commercial and residential construction industry. For the past 23 years I have owned and operated Wood's Home Maintenance Service , providing services primarily in Johnston, Wake and Sampson Counties of North Carolina.

Several Home improvement articles published on Angie's List and other online forums.

High School graduate ~ proficient in CAD (computer aided design), Open Office program suite.