Home Improvement--General/Bath Fitter Remodeling

We exchanged a couple of Emails regarding my initial desire to install an acrylic base on top of the floor of my tiled shower stall....an idea I abandoned.
I would still be curious however, to try to understand the approach that Bath Fitter Company uses to remodel bathrooms. Their yellow page ad says, "......New Bathroom, wall and shower RIGHT OVER your old one...., ......one piece seamless acrylic wall system.... ".
So, how would they approach what I was attempting to do...installing an acrylic shower stall floor, in your opinion.

ANSWER: Hi, Nicholas.

I'm glad that you did abandon the idea of trying to place an acrylic shower pan over the tile.

As for Bath Fitters, I honestly don't know how they do it! I'm glad you brought it up, and I'll do some investigation for future questions, although my philosophy about remodeling is to get the best long-term results, and the best value for the investment. The only companies I ever recommend to homeowners (and my clients) are tile, tub, and shower pan refinishers, cabinet refacers, and countertop overlay companies. But, I always check out their history, check their license status, and read reviews before recommending them. Research like this takes many hours!

Bath Fitters has been around since 1984, so it's not a new company. You might want to explore having them come in to update your shower, but protect yourself from high-pressure sales. Do homework, and thoroughly investigate their history. If it's a franchise organization, you'll need to check all the information for the franchisee that you might be working with, especially any claims made with the contractors' license board and lawsuits filed against them. Of course, all communication about warranties and guarantees should be in writing.

Thank you for contacting me with your question. I care about everyone who takes the time to write to All Experts, to solve their problems. It has helped me grow as a professional, and has given many opportunities to learn about new products and procedures.

Please let me know if you hire Bath Fitters to update your bathroom. Your feedback is very important! Again, wishing you the best of luck.

Diane Plesset, CMKBD, C.A.P.S., NCIDQ
D. P. Design   

After seeing the Yellow Pages ad for Bath Fitters, and checking their website, I decided to call them and poke a bit further regarding my initial plan. I avoided visiting their show room for fear of receiving some high pressure sales talk.

Their response to my plan was that they do not implement a "floor only" solution, but they will redo the entire shower , including the floor and walls, with a seamless overlay of acrylic. So apparently they have a solution, but to me it is unclear as to  how it is done. And I am not in a position to consider redoing the entire shower.

And based on lots of negative customer feedback which appears on the internet, I will not proceed any further with Bath Fitters.

Much best wishes to you in your career.

Hello, Nicholas.

Congratulations! I wish more homeowners would be proactive to protect the investment they have in their home. It sounds like you are happy with your decision, based on your research.

"Informed consumers make the best consumers."

Diane Plesset, CMKBD, C.A.P.S., NCIDQ
D. P. Design

Home Improvement--General

Diane Plesset

I will answer questions about anything to do with bathroom remodeling: design considerations, safety, function, materials (cabinets, countertops, plumbing fixtures and fittings, lighting/switching, heating and ventilation, tile, stone, concrete, tub and shower enclosures, flooring, etc.), saving water, trends, ROI, and appearance.

25+ years as a bath-kitchen design specialist, hundreds of completed bathroom projects (all styles, all investment ranges). Author of "THE Survival Guide: Home Remodeling," co-host of a home improvement program on a local radio station for over three years. Currently hosting "Today's Home" on Lifestyle WebRadio every Sunday afternoon (http://www.todays-home.com).

NKBA (National Kitchen and Bath Association), NAHB (National Association of Home Builders), PRO (Portland Remodelers' Organization), IDPC (Interior Design Protection Council).

"THE Survival Guide: Home Remodeling" (my book, published in 2003), Designers' Illustrated Magazine, Gentry Magazine, Kitchen-Bath Business Magazine, Kitchen-Bath Design News Magazine,Interior Coordinator Magazine (Japan); San Jose Mercury News, San Mateo Times, San Francisco Chronicle, Statesman Journal, Portland Tribune, Oregonian.

Multiple degrees: Bathroom Design, Residential Interior Design, Kitchen Design, and Lighting Design. Regularly attend classes and seminars to maintain current knowledge about codes, trends, sustainability, new products, etc.

Awards: Henry Adams Designer of the Year, CoTY, Master Design, Best of the Best, Chrysalis, Excellence (best home in its category), and NABE (best how-to book, 2003). "THE Survival Guide: Home Remodeling" received #1 listing in the City of Chicago publication, "Hiring The Pros".

To see photos of completed projects, visit my website: http://www.dp-design.com/portfolio