Home Improvement--General/Shower Drain

One of the problems associated with my original plan regarding the installation of an acrylic shower base, was the need to raise the drain height. Following are 2 links which at least
appear to solve that problem. Thought they may be of interest to you.

ANSWER: Hello, Nicholas.

Both of these resources are excellent! I've marked them both for future reference. Thinking about it, I'm now remembering a project several years ago where the plumber set the drain too low, and we used a drain extender to accommodate the mud base and tile.

Thank you very much for refreshing my memory, and for sharing your research. Awesome!

Have you had a chance to check out the epoxy grout to replace your existing grout? Has the new information about extending the drain brought you back to "square one"?

I've thoroughly enjoyed our virtual conversations, and hope that you have, too.

Diane Plesset, CMKBD, C.A.P.S., NCIDQ
D. P. Design

The exchange was fun and informative. Most volunteers would not have had your patience to follow up on my chasing a windmill.

If I were to pursue the epoxy route what skill or tradesman would I look for.

Hi, Nicholas.

What you call "chasing a windmill" is often required to make an informed decision, considering all of your options.

You'd contact a professional tile setter to replace the grout. Again, to make an informed decision, talk with three or four, and get written estimates. Here's the recommendation I always give to homeowners who are looking to hire someone to help them with home repairs and remodeling:

1.  Get written estimates.
2.  Don't be shy about asking questions.
3.  Know enough about what you want to do and products you want to use to talk knowledgeably and answer questions.
4.  Check the person's license status and reputation. Ask for references.
5.  DON'T do the following: Don't hire the cheapest, thinking that you're going to save a bundle of money; Don't hire the most expensive, thinking that you're going to get superior results.

Again, Nicholas, wishing you the best of luck!

Diane Plesset, CMKBD, C.A.P.S., NCIDQ
D. P. Design

Home Improvement--General

Diane Plesset

I will answer questions about anything to do with bathroom remodeling: design considerations, safety, function, materials (cabinets, countertops, plumbing fixtures and fittings, lighting/switching, heating and ventilation, tile, stone, concrete, tub and shower enclosures, flooring, etc.), saving water, trends, ROI, and appearance.

25+ years as a bath-kitchen design specialist, hundreds of completed bathroom projects (all styles, all investment ranges). Author of "THE Survival Guide: Home Remodeling," co-host of a home improvement program on a local radio station for over three years. Currently hosting "Today's Home" on Lifestyle WebRadio every Sunday afternoon (http://www.todays-home.com).

NKBA (National Kitchen and Bath Association), NAHB (National Association of Home Builders), PRO (Portland Remodelers' Organization), IDPC (Interior Design Protection Council).

"THE Survival Guide: Home Remodeling" (my book, published in 2003), Designers' Illustrated Magazine, Gentry Magazine, Kitchen-Bath Business Magazine, Kitchen-Bath Design News Magazine,Interior Coordinator Magazine (Japan); San Jose Mercury News, San Mateo Times, San Francisco Chronicle, Statesman Journal, Portland Tribune, Oregonian.

Multiple degrees: Bathroom Design, Residential Interior Design, Kitchen Design, and Lighting Design. Regularly attend classes and seminars to maintain current knowledge about codes, trends, sustainability, new products, etc.

Awards: Henry Adams Designer of the Year, CoTY, Master Design, Best of the Best, Chrysalis, Excellence (best home in its category), and NABE (best how-to book, 2003). "THE Survival Guide: Home Remodeling" received #1 listing in the City of Chicago publication, "Hiring The Pros".

To see photos of completed projects, visit my website: http://www.dp-design.com/portfolio