Home Improvement--General/How to split payments for finishing a bonus room?

Question
A homeowner would like to finish a bonus room over the garage with a bathroom installation at the price of $12k.(Is it reasonable, by the way). It will take four weeks. The homeowner plans to make four 25% progress payments. The first 25% is the down payment. The last 25% payment is for the completion of the project and final release of all liens. Is it ok? If so, can you help to arrange the other two 25% or one 50% payment, after the completion of drywall, bathroom/ plumbing fixtures set but only leave the installation of the carpet or what else? Thank you for your answer.

Answer
The first question I'd like to respond to is the question of whether the cost of the $12K bathroom project is reasonable. I believe it is a very low number and I’m very worried for you. I'm thinking of all the costs involved, and from my 35 years of experience, I can’t see the project being completed properly for that amount. Did the estimate include: permits, dust protection, demo, trash removal, framing, a licensed electrician and plumber, heat and air condition duct work, insulation, drywall, trim, shelves, doors, bath fixtures, tile, paint, all final inspections and a 1 year warranty

If so, I would recommend the following payment schedule;

15% deposit, 15% at completion of framing, 15% at completion and the passing of inspections of the rough electric and plumbing, 15% at completion of drywall, 15% at completion of bathroom fixture installation, 15% at completion of trim and tile and 10% at completion of paint and  final inspections.

Remember these words from me: Whoever has the control of the money has the power.

Home Improvement--General

Jay Cipriani