Home Improvement--General/Cracking Ceramic tiles

Question
The wax ring on the toilet leaked and rotted the wood under the toilet. I had a new floor put into my bathroom last year. Last month I noticed one of the new ceramic tiles had a hairline crack in it. Today I noticed two more tiles with the same hairline cracks in them. Did the contractor install cheap ceramic tile? Did he install the tile incorrectly? What is causing my new tiles to crack like this?

Answer
What most likely is happening is that either whoever did the tile work did not secure the under layment enough before the tile was put on. What I mean is that is sounds like the floor underneath has a slight give to it and when it moves slightly up & down, it will cause the tile to crack. It only has to be a slight movement and the weight of someone walking on that area will make the tile crack. It is very important to use enough screws & glue to make the sub floor totally solid when you walk on it. I doubt this will happen to all your tiles. Usually it happens in just a spot or two. The fix would be take out the old tile, get 2 to 3 inch screws and put plenty of screw in that bare area where you took up the old tile. I am sure the contractor left you extra tile. You can use thin set to secure the new tiles back to the floor or I have seen guys use sub floor glue to do a few tiles.

Home Improvement--General

russell spataro