Home Improvement--General/Microwave over the range

Question
Dear Russell,

My Kenmore over the range microwave passed away, so we purchased a GE one with the same characteristics and also the same width so it'd fit in the spot in between kitchen cabinets where the old one was.

I was wishing that the metal plate which held the old microw. to the wall would be standard and would fit the new GE m.w., so it wouldn't have to be removed. But no way, they're quite different...

I removed the old one, and now I have a wall full of holes, and there's no solid beam behind the drywall at the spot for the m.w. I'm planning to patch the holes made by the old screws, but I don't think that if one of the new screws coincides with one of the patched holes, that the patch would hold like the original drywall did. I'd like to have a firm, secure, long-lasting installation, but I'm out of ideas. Would you please suggest a better way to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Rick

Answer
First the holes in the drywall. You can buy a special sized plastic mess that is used for close to the same purpose. It is for covering & patching holes in drywall that are made by wall electric outlets, light fixtures. etc. it comes in a 6"x*8" size. They usually sell it in the electrical dept. Then you cover it with joint compound, let it dry. But then you will have to do some sanding. Or you can use Durabond. It is a powder that you can buy at Home Depot in the drywall dept. It looks & mixes like drywall joint compound, dries hard as a rock. That will not come out. It is very hard to sand so you will have to smooth it out before it dries. The way I do it is, when I see it is starting to dry a little, I take a scraper and scrape the excess off. Then take a wet sponge and smooth it out. Finally, you should be able to use a metal bracket to convert the screw holes the same way they sell universal flat screen TV wall brackets. With those, it allows you to move the mounting screw along a slot or rail until the screw holes are lined up. I would think even a TV wall bracket for a small flat screen would work.

Home Improvement--General

russell spataro