Home Improvement--General/Open stairs

Question
Hello -

I have open stairs in my home that have no 'backing.'  I now have an infant daughter and need to think about closing up the stairs. What type of professional should I seek to complete this task?  Any ideas how long something like this takes?  And a ballpark of cost?  I'm not even sure I'm wording my question right - maybe you can help with terminology?

Thanks!

Answer
So I understand you correctly, you want to enclose the stairs with a regular wall with drywall on both sides. If this is correct, then a carpenter would be the only person I would trust to do it correctly. Then you would need to hire a person who does drywall & taping. Many carpenters can do drywall fairly well, but if you want it to look right, then use a guy that does only drywall. And since you have an infant daughter, insist that the drywaller use a wet sponge to sand the seems and corners or owns a power drywall sander. Wet sponge sanding creates no dust and the power sander created very little dust, sucking it into a vacuum like container. You do not want dust all over your house nor do you want your infant daughter breathing that in. It would be difficult to estimate a price without seeing the stairway. As far as how long...The carpenter should be able to frame the area in in a few hours. The drywall will take two days  depending on what joint compound they use. They have compound that dries in 20 minutes and others that take a day to dry. Usually they will hang the drywall and tape the seams & apply the first coat of compound on all the seams. Let that dry & come back the next day, sand the seams & put on a second coat in the morning and come back later in the day and do the final sanding. They will prime & paint the new drywall also unless you want to do that yourself. I have had drywall installers do an average washroom in one using the fast drying compound

Home Improvement--General

russell spataro