Home Improvement--General/Removing popcron ceiling

Question
I have a popcorned ceiling in my kitchen. I hate it. How can i remove it or can it be removed without tearing out the existing drywall that is is put on?

Answer
You have two options. You can remove the popcorn but spraying water on a small area at a time. Say 2'x2' sections. let it soak in for a minute or two and use a metal scraper to scrape it off. It comes of fairly easy but don't put to much pressure on scraper because you do not want to gouge the drywall underneath. It is time consuming & it will make a big mess so cover everything with plastic. You may have to sand and touch up a few spots when you get it all off. The other way is to put new drywall right over the popcorn. Make sure you use screws long enough to go thru the original ceiling. And you must find the ceiling joists to screw the new drywall into to.. To find then, you can use a stud finder and once you find the first one, determine which way they are running. Toward the front of the house or towards the side of the house. Then use the stud finder to locate the other ceiling joists. if you do not want to buy a stud finder, then you can take a three inch drywall screw and drill into the ceiling slowly and carefully until you feel the screw going into wood. You will feel the difference of the screw going into wood as opposed to just drywall. use a tape measure to measure every 14 to 16 inches from the first ceiling joist you find. They should be about that far apart.

Home Improvement--General

russell spataro