Home Improvement--General/porch floor caulk

I am replacing some planks (Doug Fir) on a covered front porch floor, and sanding/repainting.  The old planks are 2x T&G, but some have up to 1/8" gaps between them, which I would like to caulk but my research is turning up very conflicting recommendations as to type of caulk (acrylic vs polyurethane) or whether caulk is recommended at all.  It is also starting to get cold in upstate NY (Trumansburg, near Ithaca), but I can wait 'till Spring if necessary.  The porch is covered but the edges do get some moisture/weather.  Then of course there's some road salt on the driveway in the Winter that people can bring up to the floor on their shoes.  Finally, the old planks are painted, and I've already primed the new ones.

Hello Michael,
Do you mean that there is a gap beyond the tongue?  In other words is the gap large enough to allow water to drain through?  Could you take a few pictures and send them?  You can attach them to your response if you can do it.
I will wait to hear back from you,

Home Improvement--General

Steve Young

I will answer questions dealing with home improvement. My specific areas of expertise are flooring (except carpeting), all types of carpentry, water treatment, and minor electrical. I have also built several treehouses and am currently considering expanding my business to concentrate on children's play areas. I love working with all kinds of wood. My favorite types of home repair/remodeling are water treatment, hardwood flooring, cabinetry, bathroom remodeling, and kitchen remodeling. I also have knowledge in residential water treatment, including filters, softeners, reverse osmosis systems and various other types of treatment systems.

I have been working in various forms of construction both personally and professionally for the past 20 years. I am currently the Owner/Contractor of a home repair/remodeling company.

I have a BS in Environmental Engineering and have done Masters work in Management Development. I have also attended various community college and fine arts classes in the Piedmont Triad area and EPA water quality certification classes.