Home Improvement--General/slates repair

I forgot to wipe out a very long line of grout when re grouting in the backyard.  It got really hard...

Is there any good way of removing this hard grout from the slates?

Thank you very much,   Gabe

ANSWER: Gabriel,

I could answer this a lot easier with a couple of pictures.  Can you send some?  

How wide is the grout joint?  Is the slate installed on concrete?  How thick is the slate?

Please see attached picture.  It's the first time I used premixed grout.   Till now mixed myself and I had plenty of time to wipe it out.  NOT with this one...I tried with a sand paper but it hardily does anything.
It is a thin slate maybe  1/2 "   , the dry grout is anything from 1/4" to 2" , It is installed on cement.   

Thank you,   Gabriel

Got it.  Thanks.  I would use muriatic acid solution to weaken the grout, and go after it with a stiff 1 inch putty knife and a stiff wire brush.  Read all safety instructions and use gloves and goggles.  Thoroughly rinse with lots of water from a hose.  You may need to add a bit more grout if you end up digging the joint at all.  

Note that this method is pot perfect and may change the stone a bit, so try a small area first, and experiment.

Buy muriatic from a pool supply, masonry supply, or Lowe/,Home Depot.

Best of luck,

Home Improvement--General

Steve Major (Owner - Major Design Group)

I can answer any questions regarding the design and execution of home improvement and remodeling. This includes trade-specific questions (how-to) in all major building trades: framing, foundations, site prep, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, water treatment, interior finishing, trim & cabinetwork, exterior finishing, roofing, siding. PLEASE indicate your state or region, so I can provide the best possible answer. PLEASE provide photos whenever possible.

30 years experience in home improvement design and construction, all hands-on, including the construction of dozens of single-family homes and hundreds of remodeling projects in the northeastern US.

Author: "Architectural Woodwork - Details for Construction" published by Van Nostrand Reinhold (now Wiley).

BS -- Cornell University