Home Improvement--General/screw for old light fixture

bad choice
bad choice  
I am trying to locate a replacement screw for an old light fixture --- attaches a covering for the light on a porch. Several hardware stores do not appear to carry it, and I am not sure of its threading, etc. Pictures are attached, including the original screw and the original screw next to one that did not work.

Any ideas for how to track this down?

I recommend that you stop in at a small machine (tool and die) shop and ask then to measure the thread.  Once you know what the size is, try McMaster-Carr.  They will probably have something that works.  

There are a ton of lamp supply stores on the web as well.

Home Improvement--General

Steve Major (Owner - Major Design Group)

I can answer any questions regarding the design and execution of home improvement and remodeling. This includes trade-specific questions (how-to) in all major building trades: framing, foundations, site prep, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, water treatment, interior finishing, trim & cabinetwork, exterior finishing, roofing, siding. PLEASE indicate your state or region, so I can provide the best possible answer. PLEASE provide photos whenever possible.

30 years experience in home improvement design and construction, all hands-on, including the construction of dozens of single-family homes and hundreds of remodeling projects in the northeastern US.

Author: "Architectural Woodwork - Details for Construction" published by Van Nostrand Reinhold (now Wiley).

BS -- Cornell University