Home Improvement--General/installing french doors in place of bifold

view 2
view 2  
Hi Steve, i am removing our PITA bi folding doors and going to install french doors instead. The measurements of the opening are:

4' wide
78 3/4" tall

i plan on buying 2 slab doors from Lowes that measure 24" x 78".

My concerns are that the side walls that i'd be installing the hinges onto have a metal casing beneath the plaster and paint. I'm not sure how i can chisel out a seat for the hinges. Have you encountered this before? Is it possible?

HI Scott,
I'm sorry but I haven't encountered this situation.  The only thing I can think of would be to mount the hinges directly into the casement and then fill in the opening (if it's not aesthetically acceptable) with thin strips of a handmade molding.  I'm sorry I can't be of more help.
Good luck,

Home Improvement--General

Steve Young

I will answer questions dealing with home improvement. My specific areas of expertise are flooring (except carpeting), all types of carpentry, water treatment, and minor electrical. I have also built several treehouses and am currently considering expanding my business to concentrate on children's play areas. I love working with all kinds of wood. My favorite types of home repair/remodeling are water treatment, hardwood flooring, cabinetry, bathroom remodeling, and kitchen remodeling. I also have knowledge in residential water treatment, including filters, softeners, reverse osmosis systems and various other types of treatment systems.

I have been working in various forms of construction both personally and professionally for the past 20 years. I am currently the Owner/Contractor of a home repair/remodeling company.

I have a BS in Environmental Engineering and have done Masters work in Management Development. I have also attended various community college and fine arts classes in the Piedmont Triad area and EPA water quality certification classes.