Home Improvement--General/Tiles/bathrooms

zebrino Calacatto
zebrino Calacatto  
Hi! We are building a house, mostly my husband and father-in-law. We are to the point of picking flooring and wall tiles for the 4 bathrooms. (We have a lot of kids.) We are not extravagant, we just prefer things that are washable and can last, and take traffic (and maybe a bit of a beating haha).  We are thinking tile for the floors and the walls around the shower/tubs.  Can you recommend some?  Porcelain, ceramic, smooth, honed?  Or is it ultimately up to preference?  I am going to try to attach a few pictures I took of bari natural travertine, zebrino Calacatto, marmol venatno honed. The only thing I know about any of these is that I like the look and they weren't bumpy.  But,I am not married to these- just what one store had. I'd rather use experienced advise as a jumping off point.  Thank you for your time,  my husband would like me to choose something so he can get to installing it.  We both thank you, Tacy

Hi Tacy,
Thanks for your question.  Sounds like you and your family are in for a major building project.  Building your own house can be one of the most satisfying things you can do - and also one of the most frustrating!  It will also test the bonds of a marriage :-)  But I am not a marriage counselor, thank goodness.
To answer your question.  I prefer porcelain for bathroom applications over all the choices  you mention.  Porcelain is a hard tile that is easy to clean and looks really good.  Here is an excellent article on porcelain vs. ceramic:  http://www.hgtv.com/remodel/bathroom-remodel/reasons-to-choose-porcelain-tile.  Porcelain is a little harder to install than ceramic but if your husband has experience it shouldn't be a problem.
When all is said and done it's really up to personal preference.  You will find pros and cons for all the different types.  
Good luck and if you have any more questions let me know.
Take care,

Home Improvement--General

Steve Young

I will answer questions dealing with home improvement. My specific areas of expertise are flooring (except carpeting), all types of carpentry, water treatment, and minor electrical. I have also built several treehouses and am currently considering expanding my business to concentrate on children's play areas. I love working with all kinds of wood. My favorite types of home repair/remodeling are water treatment, hardwood flooring, cabinetry, bathroom remodeling, and kitchen remodeling. I also have knowledge in residential water treatment, including filters, softeners, reverse osmosis systems and various other types of treatment systems.

I have been working in various forms of construction both personally and professionally for the past 20 years. I am currently the Owner/Contractor of a home repair/remodeling company.

I have a BS in Environmental Engineering and have done Masters work in Management Development. I have also attended various community college and fine arts classes in the Piedmont Triad area and EPA water quality certification classes.