Home Improvement--General/Basement Window

QUESTION: I am having glass block windows installed and the contractor told me that is going to leave the "pan frame" in. He doesn't want to remove them due to mess.
I need to know whether i should have him remove them or not. He told me that due to having a poured basement this can get very messy. Is he just cutting corners? I am getting new windows to better insulate my cold basement.

ANSWER: What kind of window is in there now? An old wooden frame or is it vinyl. I don't know why the PAN FRAME would be needed on a glass block window. When I install a glass block window I just use cement mortar mix on all four sides of the glass block window. If you can send my a close up picture I can look it it

QUESTION: I was told that the frame was set into the concrete when the house was built and to cut out the exsisting frame would be a lot of work for him that is unnecessary and would create a void due to the frame being 6" and the glass block only being 3"

From the photo, the window looks like a metal framed escape window installed when the house was built.
Anyway, since it is built into the concrete, then I would not remove it. When a builder installs that type of window correctly into the foundation, chances are you will never have a problem with water seepage. If you tear it out, you may have problems in the future. Your contractor is correct.  

Home Improvement--General

russell spataro

Any constrution or remodeling questions

15 years of custom home building. My knowledge on building homes correctly is written below. If I had more than 2000 characters I would gone on.

Lets start with foundation footing. The standard foundation footing is 20 inches wide. Foundation walls are 10 inches wide and must be dug down below the freeze line or 48 inches in Illinois. Framing a house. 2"x4" or 2"x6" walls. They are put 16" on center. Floors should be 3/4" tongue & groove plywood. 1/2 plywood sheeting should be placed on the exterior walls. Two 2"x12" nailed together should be used as headers above all windows and exterior doors. They should also be used on any doorways, halls or open spaces on all bearing walls. Walls get R-13 insulation. Ceiling insulation should be R-36 in Illinois or 10 inches of blown in insulation. Concrete for the sidewalks should be 4" thick. If it is a driveway or garage floor, then 5" thick. Foundation walls must be sealed with either tar or spray on sealer. Concrete for basement floors are 4" thick, with drain tile underneath crawl spaces must be covered with 2" of concrete. Stair risers should be no more than 7.5". Stair treads should be 10" wide. Deck spindles should be spaced no more than 4" s.