Home Improvement--General/pellet stove

Hi Diane

I hope you know the answer to this. I recently moved from. ME.to Fl. I want to move. Back to ME.  Well the home I am looking at has regular furnace heat. I plan on putting in a pellet stove. I wanted to confirm some rumors. 1st. I was told that you just put the stove pipe out the side of the house? and 2nd I was told that it makes hardly any ash?
Are either rumor true.

Hello, Joyce.

I will admit up front that I know very little about pellet stoves, and hope that other experts can fill in the blanks for you.

I don't know who told you, or where you read that the pipe can simply be installed out the side of a house. There are specific codes for pellet stove and fireplace ducts. Where you locate in ME will probably have codes and guidelines for installation of ducts. Also, manufacturers have specific installation instructions that must be followed. My concern is substituting an un-insulated pipe that would end up too close to the home's framing that could cause a fire. Another concern is venting the pellet stove out where it can potentially hurt people or plants.

Pellet stoves and wood-burning stoves get very hot. Use fire-resistant materials behind and under them, and do not place any furniture or seasonal decorations (i.e., a Christmas tree) in close proximity to the stove. Train children and pets to stay away from stoves.

Recap: (1) Before you buy a pellet stove, check with your local building department to get code requirements for installation. (2) Always buy UL-approved appliances. (3) Follow the manufacturer's installation instructions -- no deviations, no modifications! (4) Read and follow the manufacturer's guidelines for safe use of the stove.

Hope your relocation to ME is successful. Enjoy your new home, and your new pellet stove in good health!

Warm regards,

Diane Plesset, CMKBD, C.A.P.S., NCIDQ
D. P. Design (http://www.dp-design.com)
"See the Possibilities. Create a Positive Difference."

Home Improvement--General

Diane Plesset

I will answer questions about anything to do with bathroom remodeling: design considerations, safety, function, materials (cabinets, countertops, plumbing fixtures and fittings, lighting/switching, heating and ventilation, tile, stone, concrete, tub and shower enclosures, flooring, etc.), saving water, trends, ROI, and appearance.

25+ years as a bath-kitchen design specialist, hundreds of completed bathroom projects (all styles, all investment ranges). Author of "THE Survival Guide: Home Remodeling," co-host of a home improvement program on a local radio station for over three years. Currently hosting "Today's Home" on Lifestyle WebRadio every Sunday afternoon (http://www.todays-home.com).

NKBA (National Kitchen and Bath Association), NAHB (National Association of Home Builders), PRO (Portland Remodelers' Organization), IDPC (Interior Design Protection Council).

"THE Survival Guide: Home Remodeling" (my book, published in 2003), Designers' Illustrated Magazine, Gentry Magazine, Kitchen-Bath Business Magazine, Kitchen-Bath Design News Magazine,Interior Coordinator Magazine (Japan); San Jose Mercury News, San Mateo Times, San Francisco Chronicle, Statesman Journal, Portland Tribune, Oregonian.

Multiple degrees: Bathroom Design, Residential Interior Design, Kitchen Design, and Lighting Design. Regularly attend classes and seminars to maintain current knowledge about codes, trends, sustainability, new products, etc.

Awards: Henry Adams Designer of the Year, CoTY, Master Design, Best of the Best, Chrysalis, Excellence (best home in its category), and NABE (best how-to book, 2003). "THE Survival Guide: Home Remodeling" received #1 listing in the City of Chicago publication, "Hiring The Pros".

To see photos of completed projects, visit my website: http://www.dp-design.com/portfolio