Home Improvement--General/driveway mistake

I live at home with my elderly mother in a 50-year old home. The asphalt driveway was in bad disrepair. It was faded and full of cracks.  The other day, while I was working , my mother was approached by a paving scammer who promised to fix everything cheaply in exchange to put up advertising in our yard. To make a long story short, I called the police when he demanded some outrageous amount of money for the job. I told the guy I called the cops, and he took off quickly.  Anyhow, he didn't seal any cracks, but left the driveway a blackened mess.  It's covered with some smelly, oily black substance, and I have no idea what it might be. My question is: do you have any ideas about how to remove it?  I'm guessing it's some sort of driveway sealant.  The cop thought it might be some sort of wood finish or something. There was some leaking onto the sidewalk, which I used cat litter to clean up, and it worked.  But the sidewalk is still a little dirty.  Any suggestions?

Yikes! I dislike people in my industry that try and take advantage of people.....immensely.....
Anyway. Contact an actual driveway repair company and get a quote and see if they can go over what was put in. My feeling is they can go right over what is there with a decent driveway sealer.

Home Improvement--General

Glen W

I can answer almost any question about residential construction / renovation

I have worked as a General Contractor for 25 yrs. in 10 states.

BA in Architecture