Home Improvement--General/Bathroom Remodel

Question
Is there a basic way to estimate the cost of bathroom remodel BEFORE calling in contractors? House was built @ 1880 and bathroom was built as part of an addition w/crawl space (3 feet in height). Last remodel was done 40 years ago. Home location - Massachusetts.

I am looking for a simple white bathroom with mid height chair rail, plaster above rail and vertical beadboard below. Vinyl tile or vinyl sheet flooring, new window, 2 new doors.

Bathroom is approx. 5' X 10' in size. Not changing position of any fixtures. Vanity, tub and toilet to replace and need to change the tub area into a tub with shower.
Need all walls to be gutted, new electric added. New floor and possible addition of a floor support.

I have received an estimate for the plumbing - total redo aprox 5000.00 this does not include fixtures. This is "worst case" pricing by plumbing co we have used before and I believe the price may be a little high for the fact that it is not an easy job due to working in a crawl space. The plumber seems to be genuine in his interest in the job, offering many suggestions etc.

I did receive one estimate of 15K total which I thought was high or reflected the contractors "disintrest" in the project. Advise?

Answer
Hello

There are several online sources to get average costing for different projects around the home including bathrooms. One is the "Cost vs Value Report" produced by Remodeling magazine. I would highly recommend researching why homeowners get themselves in big trouble by hire contractors that seem to give such a great price only to find out halfway though the project that the contractor can't finish the job because he or she ran out of money. When you first described the project, I was thinking as I was reading the project sounded like a typical 30 thousand dollar job. Then when I heard 5 thousand, I said oh no. You might be able to get a fair job (not a good job ) at 15 thousand.

You have to make sure you know there are multiple factors the make at the cost.

First, it a very old house.
Then you have costs such as,

Permits, don't do without them. It protects you from bad work from our contractor.

Demo

Waste Removeal. Dumpster

Framing

Electric

Plumbing

Insulation

Windows

Exterior window trim

Bath fixtures. Good brands.

Exhaust fan vented to the outside

Drywall.  Moisture resistant type

Tile

Window and door and base trim.

Painting. Flooring

Heat vent covers.

There is no way to get all that for 5000.00

I hope this information helps you have a good experience and not a nightmare.

All the best

Jay  

Home Improvement--General

Jay Cipriani