Home Improvement--General/Bi fold door installation

Hi Steve:

I am framing a basement and just completed construction of the rough opening for a set of bifold doors to enclose the furnace. My question is, can I attach the upper rail to the header or should it be attached to the wider framing that surrounds pre hung doors (for drywall purposes)? Thanks in advance.

bifold door
bifold door  

Typically the drywall is installed and finished prior to installing door jambs or hanging the doors.  It is important that the rough opening be sized correctly to allow for the installation of the door, for width and height.  It is very difficult to change later.  

I hope the attached sketch can help.

Best of luck,

Home Improvement--General

Steve Major (Owner - Major Design Group)

I can answer any questions regarding the design and execution of home improvement and remodeling. This includes trade-specific questions (how-to) in all major building trades: framing, foundations, site prep, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, water treatment, interior finishing, trim & cabinetwork, exterior finishing, roofing, siding. PLEASE indicate your state or region, so I can provide the best possible answer. PLEASE provide photos whenever possible.

30 years experience in home improvement design and construction, all hands-on, including the construction of dozens of single-family homes and hundreds of remodeling projects in the northeastern US.

Author: "Architectural Woodwork - Details for Construction" published by Van Nostrand Reinhold (now Wiley).

BS -- Cornell University