Home Improvement--General/Nails

QUESTION: I just had some wood cut for a little project I am working on and am not sure which type/size nails I should use. I attached photo of items in receipt. 28 piece of wood and plywood. Not sure if certain nails are prefered.

Also is pressure treated plywood more or less flammable than normal plywood?

ANSWER: Hi James,
What kind of a project are you doing?  I'm wondering if you might be better off with screws.  Let me know and we'll see what we can come up with.

I don't know about flammability - check with manufacturer.

QUESTION: I want to build a simple roof over a table to cover my movie projector if it starts raining outside. It's a 3 piece of wood project. Do I need glue at all, and how would I orient the pieces when putting in the nails or screws?

Hi James,

I'm not sure I understand your question.  Could you draw what you want to build and email it to me?  I think I can be more helpful if I have a better understanding of your project.  I'm fairly sure that screws will work much better than nails - probably a #10 1" phillips wood screw.

Home Improvement--General

Steve Young

I will answer questions dealing with home improvement. My specific areas of expertise are flooring (except carpeting), all types of carpentry, water treatment, and minor electrical. I have also built several treehouses and am currently considering expanding my business to concentrate on children's play areas. I love working with all kinds of wood. My favorite types of home repair/remodeling are water treatment, hardwood flooring, cabinetry, bathroom remodeling, and kitchen remodeling. I also have knowledge in residential water treatment, including filters, softeners, reverse osmosis systems and various other types of treatment systems.

I have been working in various forms of construction both personally and professionally for the past 20 years. I am currently the Owner/Contractor of a home repair/remodeling company.

I have a BS in Environmental Engineering and have done Masters work in Management Development. I have also attended various community college and fine arts classes in the Piedmont Triad area and EPA water quality certification classes.