Home Improvement--General/Exterior 6 panel pro steel metal core door

May the door be cut off 7 1/2 inches

You can cut it but a steel door has a core that is not intended to be exposed to the weather.  If you cut it it will be exposed and the cut edge would likely rust or deteriorate over time.  It also compromises the rigidity of the door since the folded edges of the door are what provides the doors stiffness and prevents warping.

You didn't say where you want to cut off 7 1/2", top or bottom rail, hinge stile or latch stile.  Generally the stiles and top rail aren't that big so you would be cutting into the molded panels and they may be hollow.  Cutting the bottom rail would remove the weather strip or sweep which serves to keep the weather, bugs, dirt from entering the building.

I can't picture what circumstance would require cutting off 7 1/2" of an exterior door.  I would not recommend cutting the door.  It would be better to modify the opening to make it a standard 80" height or have a custom shop make a custom door to fit the opening.  Good luck.

Len Kroll
Wood House Log Homes

Home Improvement--General

Len Kroll

I can provide advice on the proper design, construction, maintenance, restoration, preservation, cleaning and waterproofing of log homes. Questions concerning proper cleaning, sealing, staining and waterproofing are within my area of expertise. My expertise includes new construction and existing log structures. Chinking application or restoration, log replacement and repair are also in my area of expertise.

40 years experience in the log home and construction industries, 10 years in specialty contracting, 30 years in the log home field. We have designed, produced, supplied and built over 3,000 log homes and restored/repaired over 600 log homes. See more information at our web site:

Authored a monthly column expressing the Vice President and General Manager's "Observations and Insights" distributed to 300 employees and management.

BS degree in accounting, University of Illinois, 1963. Master of Business Administration degree, University of Chicago Graduate School of Business. Numerous relevant seminars including an intense two week business administration seminar, University of Pennsylvania Wharton School of Business, 1978. National Home Builders Association Graduate Builders education program.

National Honor Society Student, Illinois State Academic Scholarship, Dean's List.

References on request