Home Improvement--General/exterior porch column base wood

Question
I have to make some porch column bases to match the existing ones for replacement of the rotted ones. What would be the best wood to use for these? Considering climate, I'm in central Pa. The attached photo is of a similar one on a newel post. However, mine are on a full column sitting on a wooden floor. The floor has been repaired and supported from below. The porch is open, facing south, and is exposed to all weather conditions year round. Everything will be painted when complete.

Answer
Hi Daniel,

I have made them from cypress and had them hold up well.  I would think that cedar would also hold up well.  Another option, to make them extremely weather resistant, would be to make them out of PVC or composite material.  This Column Restoration Project I did for a client may give you some ideas for your project.

I hope I have been of some help!

Best regards,
Tony  

Home Improvement--General

Tony Wood