Home Improvement--General/exterior porch column base wood

I have to make some porch column bases to match the existing ones for replacement of the rotted ones. What would be the best wood to use for these? Considering climate, I'm in central Pa. The attached photo is of a similar one on a newel post. However, mine are on a full column sitting on a wooden floor. The floor has been repaired and supported from below. The porch is open, facing south, and is exposed to all weather conditions year round. Everything will be painted when complete.

Hi Daniel,

I have made them from cypress and had them hold up well.  I would think that cedar would also hold up well.  Another option, to make them extremely weather resistant, would be to make them out of PVC or composite material.  This Column Restoration Project I did for a client may give you some ideas for your project.

I hope I have been of some help!

Best regards,

Home Improvement--General

Tony Wood

I can answer a wide range of home improvement and maintenance questions. My expertise is in carpentry, painting, framing, siding/boxing, doors, windows, decks and screen and glass enclosures. Wood's Home Maintenance Service

I am a life time resident of North Carolina with over 30 years experience in multiple facets of the industrial, commercial and residential construction industry. For the past 23 years I have owned and operated Wood's Home Maintenance Service , providing services primarily in Johnston, Wake and Sampson Counties of North Carolina.

Several Home improvement articles published on Angie's List and other online forums.

High School graduate ~ proficient in CAD (computer aided design), Open Office program suite.