Home Recording/Connecting Macbook pro to Yamaha DGX-620

I am trying to connect my Yamaha DGX-620 portable grand piano to my macbook pro in order to do some basic recording on garage band. For some reason, my macbook doesn't seem to be recognizing the drivers that I'm downloading from the yamaha website. I misplaced the software that came with the piano, that's why I'm trying to download. Is it possible to connect the keyboard to my mac or am I wasting my time? I know that the keyboard is an older model. What do I have to do in order to get these two pieces of technology to talk. Thanks for your help.

Hey Reilly, make sure you have the right drivers & that you are using the USB to HOST function & not DEVICE. It should work no problem like that. If you suspect that the driver you have is not good, try getting one here:

Make sure you're using the right driver for your operating system & try to uninstall any other midi drivers you might have loaded in before doing the installation. Hope that helps man, if you need anything else, just drop me a line.
Peace - J.

Home Recording

Jason Fryer

I specialize in Macintosh recording systems on OS X & am well versed in most of the available software titles relative to the platform. I can answer most questions about home recording in general such as: Mic placement, recording/mixing/mastering techniques, control room set up, acoustics & acoustical treatment & choosing the right equipment for specific recording applications. I do not answer PC related questions, or questions pertaining CD/DVD copying or ripping.

River CIty Junction Tone King Records

I have been working in studios for over 20 years both as a recurring artist playing on my own recordings & as a session musician, engineer & producer. I run a Mac based studio from my home, use mostly Logic or Garageband. I'll use Garageband for writing & Pre-Prod & move the project over to Logic afterwards. I also have experience using Pro Tools, Digital Performer, Ableton Live & many others. My preferences are Logic & Pro Tools & as such my area of expertise is focussed in these two apps. I'm also an IT guy, sysadmin & electronics technician so can help with technical questions relating to studio operation & maintenance.

River CIty Junction - Guitarist Tone King Records - Owner/Producer

Musician's Professional Workshop Scholarship (CHOM FM)
Vanier College (Classical Music - Guitar)
Herzing Institute (Micro-Computer Electronics)
Have taken numerous online courses in recording/engineering