Home Recording/Stereo guitar

Question
Hello, what is the best way to record guitar in stereo?

I've tried recording twice (double tracking is what they call it?)
One pan Left with different distortion effect and one pan Right with another different effect.

So far i am satisfied with the results but the thing about keeping everything synced is a bit challenging to me...

How could a single guitar player have that scenario of having 2 stereo effects with different effects on each side?

i assume when on live shows a single guitar player has another friend playing backstage to add the different effects...

and if i were to record a guitar track and duplicate the same track, how could i differentiate both tracks to sound stereo?

Thank you and looking forward for your reply

Answer
Hey Yura, if a single guitarist had 2 guitar parts going that were crucial to the performance, he'd likely hire someone to play onstage with him. Or he might take the important parts of each performance & combine them into one. Or he might use a sampler. There are no real rules & many different ways to accomplish what you are asking. I think you will also find that it's a pretty rare situation where 2 guitars are both running different stereo effects. It would sound like a total muddy wash out. You might have one guy running a bit of delay & the other a bit of reverb or chorus but you likely would not see two guitars with all kinds of crazy stereo effects on them as it would take up all the space for all the other instruments or it would sound very unfocussed & confusing. I'm not saying that it can't happen, it's just not likely in a big mix of band scenario. If you have a breakdown in a song & there's only 2 guitars going you could get pretty crazy with them, but you'd have to reel them back when the rest of the band came back in so that it would sound like music again! lol As far as differentiating 2 guitar tracks to sound stereo goes, you can't. One guitar track is a mono-aural signal. 2 guitar tracks together with one on the left & the other on the right is a stereo signal.  You can record a guitar amp in stereo using 2 mics on 2 different cabs, or a stereo mic on one cab, but as soon as you sum the 2 signals together on the left or right, they will become mono again. It's the act of having both signals present on each side that actually makes them stereo. So, if you record 2 guitars both in stereo, one over the top of the other, you will also have a wash out effect because of phasing issues. If you want a huge stereo sound, you can record one guitar track in stereo with the effects you want on it, pan it left & right to taste, then record 2 mono guitar takes, one left, one right with just dry guitar. (No effects except overdrive or distortion) then mix the 2 mono signals under your effected stereo signal to get a big fat tone. As for keeping everything synced, that's just practice! Hope that helps bro, if you need anything else, just drop me a line!
Peace - J.

Home Recording

Jason Fryer