Home Recording/better sound.

QUESTION: The sound of my music never had a rich sound to it and my biggest problem is the hissing sounds to where it hurts my ears when reviewing songs. I have a studio mic that's input into a mixer, a rca/audio converter including with the red and white end inserted into the output of the mixer while the audio end inserted into the microphone input of the computer. I uses Sonar 6 Producer Edition. The only effects I use is gate, reverb, and equalizer. Sometimes I use extra effects but Still I'm not satisfied. I do not have my microphone in a booth, nor do I have sound proof which is one of my problems. I am not a big person on expensive things. Can you guide me on making my sound more rich while budgeting.

ANSWER: Hey Lee-
I think I covered this in your last question, however I forgot to tell you about 4k.

I HATE 4k. It hurts my ears the most. They say that sensitivity to 4k is the signs of early hearing damage. That's fine. If it hurts my ears and I am sensitive to it then I am saving others the pain. Here's the deal. You want to identify the specific instrument making the hurty freq. Then Automate the EQ on and off, ONLY when you hear the hurt.

It's usually a Frequency right about 4k, it changes from 3500 - 4500. The best way to attack it is to use the freq analyzer and find it, then make a VERY VERY VERY sharp Q on an 1 band EQ, and cut it until it hurts no more. Then Widen the Q so that it sound natural. This is REALLY HARD. It will take practice, and I'm serious that you don't want this on all the time. Automate the bypass on and off so it only Eq's when the hurt happens. This is called "surgical EQing".

Thanks again!!

QUESTION: well i was actually being sarcastic about the ear hurting and pain part. I don't have any pain at all and never had pain in my ear. It's just the hissing be so loud to where it sounds horrible. Sorry for the inconvenience and making you think i have ear pain. Lol. thanks for your response.

Hey Lee-
I really think its your converters and mic. Some microphones are just more sensitive to Sibilance than others, for example the Akg 414 line, sound harsh on vocals but great on acoustic guitar. Lesser quality converters don't reproduce the details in the high frequency range very well, so the shimmer and detail gets lost and in its place you hear grainy and shrill. Check out the 2626, for the price you can't beat it. The designer was one of the original guys from Apogee.

Merry Xmas-

Home Recording

I can answer questions about; Recording Theory and hardware, advanced music theory and application, songwriting, industry level audio production / mixing / mastering, copyright, publishing, recording hardware and software, and musical instruction.

As a Producer and Composer, I have music featured in over 100 MTV / VH1 / E! network shows, and several international feature films. As a full time audio engineer, producer, and songwriter I have worked with industry greats, mentored up and coming artists, and have dedicated my life to music and music education. My production tutorial series is available online at http://www.groove3.com/str/from-drop-to-top.html is featured alongside Grammy award winning engineers and has received critical acclaim internationally.

Authorized Pro Tools Users Forum - "DUC" duc.digidesign.com Music Tech Magazine (future publications)

I am a certified Pro Tools operator, Music Theory and Audio Engineering degree holder from M.I. Hollywood, and authorized trainer of several applications.